Crawfish Stuffed Picnic Eggs
A fun recipe for crawfish deviled eggs from our reader Kim Robertson from Baldwin County.
- 1 dozen large or jumbo hard-boiled eggs, halved with yolks and whites separated
- 3 pounds cooked crawfish (store bought or cooked at home), peeled and chopped
- 24 whole, cooked and peeled crawfish to use as garnish (do not chop)
- ¾ -1 cup Hellmann’s mayonnaise (adjust to desired consistency)
- 1 to 1 ½ teaspoons sweet pickle relish (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon prepared mustard
- 4 green onions, chopped (I add a little extra)
- 24 green onion stems to use as garnish (about 1/2-inch in length) on the eggs
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons instant mashed potato flakes
- 2 or 3 drops Tabasco or other hot sauce
In a large bowl, mash the egg yolks until creamy and smooth. Add the mayonnaise, mustard, chopped green onions, pickle relish, hot sauce, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper and potato flakes and combine until thoroughly mixed. Fold in the chopped crawfish meat and mix well. Spoon the crawfish-egg mixture into the egg whites, filling the centers generously. Garnish each egg with an entire crawfish tail and green onion stem. Carefully monitor the amount of salt used; if your cooked crawfish are highly seasoned, you may want to omit salt altogether or lessen the amount used. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.