Introduction to Indigo and Shibori with Aaron Sanders Head
Date(s) - 07/13/2019
11:00 am - 4:00 pm
Lowe Mill ARTS & Entertainment
Categories No Categories
Join Aaron Sanders Head, Alabama-based visual artist, for an introduction to Indigo and Shibori Workshop. Participants will learn basics of shibori dyeing, with an emphasis on Itajime (shape resist) and Kumo (twist resist) techniques. Materials will be provided, and participants are highly encouraged to bring their own small, natural fiber items to dye if time allows. Students will leave with dyed cotton fabric, a dyed linen scarf, and a handout detailing the dye process.
Skill level: all
- Learn basics of Itajime (shape resist) and Kumo (twist resist) shibori dyeing.
- Learn to dye natural fiber goods in a plant derived indigo vat.
- A yard of cotton and other fabric provided for experimentation
- Students are highly encouraged to bring small goods to dye. Cellulose fibers (cotton, linen, rayon, ramie) accept the color the best. Vintage linens, pillow cases, dish towels and clothing are all perfect for this. Pre-wash in hot water before the workshop.
- Wear old clothing and shoes that can be stained. The dye will splash.
About the instructor:
Aaron Sanders Head is a curator, writer, and traveling, teaching artist based in Alabama. His work investigates, restores, and reinterprets historical textile practices, with a focus on natural dyes, handiwork, hand-mending and hand-stitching. Aaron explores the intersections of practices of the past with contemporary craft, and the ways that sewing and textile arts can aid in increasing diversity and representation in the creative class.
Check out his website www.aaronsandershead.com