|Recipe : Entry # 5854|
|Jalapeno Popper Pasta|
|Tallapoosa River EC|
|8 ounces pasta (rotini, gemelli, or any other similar shape will work)
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 tsp canola oil
1 medimun garlic clove, minced
1 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 large jalapeño peppers, minced
(to yield approx 1/4 cup) (NOTE)
6 ounces cream cheese, cut into 6 pieces
1 cup milk
1 cup Monterey jack cheese
1 tsp chili powder
salt and pepper, to taste
1 large jalapeno pepper, sliced for garnish (optional)
|1. COOK PASTA: Cook pasta according to package directions to al dente. Drain and set aside.
2. MAKE BREADCRUMBS: Heat oil in a medium, nonstick skillet and add breadcrumbs and (1 clove) minced garlic. Stir frequently until breadcrumbs begin to brown and garlic is fragrant. Add a pinch of salt, remove from heat and set aside.
3. MAKE SAUCE: In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes. Add peppers and cook for 3 minutes, or until onion and peppers are softened. Add garlic during the last minute, cooking until fragrant.
4. Reduce heat to medium and add cream cheese to onion mixture. Stir until melted. Add milk, stirring until incorporated. Add cheese and chili powder and stir until melted and smooth.
5. PUT IT TOGETHER: Remove sauce from heat. Add cooked pasta to sauce and toss until combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. SERVE: Sprinkle with 1 heaping tablespoon of garlic breadcrumbs. Top with jalapeño rings for garnish (optional).
NOTE:Remove the veins and seeds for a milder taste or leave them for a spicier taste.