|Recipe : Entry # 6873|
|Chocolate & Coconut Thumbprint Cookies|
|North Alabama EC|
|3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup toasted coconut
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 stick unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1/4 cup granulated sugar plus 1/4 cup more for rolling cookies
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1/4 cup orange marmalade AND/OR
1/4 cup cherry preserves
|1. Sift the flour, cocoa and salt together into a small bowl. Add toasted coconut and set aside.
2. Melt the chocolate in a glass bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Do not let the water touch the bottom of the bowl. Stir chocolate until smooth and set aside until cooled.
3. In a food processor or using a hand mixer, mix butter and 1/4 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg yolk, coconut extract and cooled chocolate.
4. Mix in the flour/cocoa/coconut mixture on low speed just until combined.
5. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate about 30 minutes to one hour.
6. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
7. Cover a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
8. Using a Tablespoon, form the cookie mixture into balls. They should measure about 1 inch in diameter. Roll the cookie balls in the remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar.
9. Place on the cookie sheet leaving about 1 inch of space between the cookies. Using your thumb or the back of a teaspoon, make an indention in the middle of the cookie.
10. Bake for six minutes. Remove from the oven and using the back of a teaspoon, gently press the center of the cookie again. Return to the oven and bake another 5-6 minutes.
11. Remove from oven and cool cookies on a wire rack. When cooled spoon 1/4 teaspoon of orange marmalade and/or cherry preserves into each of the cookie indentions.
This recipe makes 2 dozen cookies.