|Recipe : Entry # 9511|
|ELMER VICK VICK|
|1 lb. Premium bulk pork breakfast sausage
2 Tbs. BBQ Rub of choice, divided
1 1 gallon seal top bag
1 7.5 oz Cream Cheese with chives, at room temperature
2 Tbs. Minced onion
2 Tbs. Minced green or red bell pepper
1 cup Mozzarella Cheese
1Tbs. Butter or Olive oil
|Prepare grill for indirect cooking or smoker at 250 degrees
1) Remove sausage from wrapper and place in the seal top bag, using a rolling pin begin flattening the sausage to completely fill the bag, return to the refrigerator for about 15 minutes to re-chill.
2) Saute onions and pepper in butter/oil until soft.
3) Remove the sausage from the refrigerator, open the top and with a sharp pair of scissors cut down each side of the bag but leaving it in one piece, this helps in rolling.
4) Sprinkle 1 Tbs. of BBQ rub evenly over the sausage
5) Spread cream cheese over the sausage to within about 1/2 inch of the edges
6) Sprinkle Mozzarella cheese and vegetables over the cream cheese
7) Using the plastic bag, roll the sausage into a roll like a jelly roll, be sure no plastic is left on the sausage sprinkle the remaining BBQ rub on the outside of the roll.
8) Place sausage roll in the smoker/grill and cook to a internal temperature of 165 degrees
9) Allow to rest covered for 20 minutes before slicing.
|Tell us about your recipe|
|Being a Certified BBQ Judge, you get to sample a lot of different BBQ dishes. This is something like I had at a Contest in north Mississippi, and I came up with this version and it is well liked by family and friends.|